Gold jewelry should be in good condition so that it radiates beauty every time you wear it. A gold ring can be seen on the finger of every girl. They come in different shapes, structures, and have different gloss and shine. Although gold does not tarnish as easily as silver, it does lose its luster from time to time. If your gold jewelry is looking a little dull, don’t worry — a thorough cleaning will make it brand new again! You don’t even need to use expensive jewelry cleaners to keep your gold shining and sparkling for a long time. If you do not know how to clean a gold ring easily, the following information will be useful for you.
How to clean a gold ring from dirt?
Gold is a fairly soft metal that scratches easily. If you want to clean it from various dirt, follow simple rules.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a small amount of soap or dishwashing detergent to make a mild cleaning solution.
- Put your gold jewelry in the prepared solution and leave them in it for 20–30 minutes. Do you use a softer brush or a cloth to clean the jewelry from dirt.
- Wash off excess soap from jewelry with water.
- Dry your jewelry with a clean towel. Since certain hard-to-reach areas can be wiped dry, allow them to air dry completely before putting them on.
In addition, you can clean a gold ring with ammonia at home. To do this, soak the jewelry for about a minute in a solution of ammonia and plain water, and then rinse them thoroughly with clean water. However, do not use this method often, because it can discolor the jewelry.
How to clean a gold ring with a stone?
Jewelry with various stones that are glued to their setting or inserted into specially designated places, setting, should not be immersed in water. Warm water can loosen the glue, which can cause your gemstones to fall out, especially with a thorough brushing. Although some durable stones such as diamonds, emeralds, sapphires are not easily damaged, there are many gemstones that should not be soaked in water for a long time (such as emerald or onyx). For these types of jewelry, use a special cleaning method that avoids complete immersion in water. It is very easy to clean a tarnished gold ring at home with a minimal set of tools.
To preserve the original appearance of accessories, wipe them with a damp, soapy cloth. To do this, make a small amount of soap solution, dip a soft, gentle towel in it and carefully clean your jewelry. Gently dab the wet cloth on the ornament, trying to absorb the remaining soap suds. Place the jewelry on a clean and dry towel so that it dries well. If you do not know how to clean a gold ring with a diamond yourself, ask for help from professionals.
How to properly clean a gold ring at home?
Don’t know how to clean a gold wedding ring so that it does not lose its original appearance? You should remember that gold is not difficult to clean, but the exact cleaning method should depend on whether your gold rings have precious stones or not. There are several effective methods that can preserve the shine and beauty of your gold jewelry.
- Clean the gold ring with soda. Baking soda is slightly alkaline in nature. So, it reacts with the acids in the mud, dust and residue on the metal, forming carbon dioxide bubbles that help loosen the debris. For cleaning, you need to mix baking soda and water. Take an old soft-bristled toothbrush and dip it in the baking soda mixture. Carefully clean the jewelry with a toothbrush.
- Clean the gold ring with vinegar. Cleaning your gold and gemstones with vinegar is a common practice. Simply drop the jewelry into a jar of vinegar and leave for 10–15 minutes, shaking occasionally. If necessary, remove and clean with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Before cleaning a gold ring with pearls, you should know that it easily loses its shine. Real pearls, cultured or artificial, you must clean it thoroughly. First, put the strand on a soft cloth. Dip a clean small makeup brush into a mixture of warm water and a small amount of shampoo and trace each pearl. To finish, rinse the stone with a clean, well-wrung damp cloth. Allow it to dry to prevent separation and to make the ring sparkle in the sun. This non-soak finish is also good for turquoise, another porous stone.
For hard-to-reach areas that are difficult to clean with simple soaking or wiping, you can use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a toothbrush to clean hard-to-reach areas, such as gold engravings, that have accumulated dirt. At the same time, you should remember that in order to clean the gold ring so that it shines, it is necessary to use only a toothbrush with soft bristles and be careful with cleaning. If your jewelry needs a thorough cleaning, it’s best to have it professionally cleaned to avoid any damage.
If you want your jewelry to last you as long as possible, don’t forget to take it off before showering or while swimming. Chlorine, which is contained in tap water, discolors gold and damages fine details of accessories. Do not combine your appliance with your gold rings, as bleach and other chemicals used in household cleaners can damage your jewelry. Also, don’t forget that gold is a soft metal and it scratches easily. Keep gold rings separate from other jewelry, as most other metals can easily scratch gold. It is better to store gold rings in small bags or in a separate jewelry box.
Now you know how to quickly clean a gold ring at home, we wish you good luck in all your endeavors.