Gold jewelry should be in good condition so that it radiates beauty every time you wear it. A golden ring can be seen on the finger of every girl. They come in different shapes, textures, have different luster and radiance. Although gold does not tarnish as easily as silver, it does lose its luster from time to time. If your gold jewelry looks a bit dull, don’t worry — a thorough cleaning will make it look brand new again! You don’t even need to use expensive jewelry cleaners to keep your gold sparkling and sparkling for a long time. If you don’t know how easy it is to clean a gold ring, the following information will be helpful to you.
How to clean a gold ring from dirt?
Gold is a fairly soft metal that scratches easily. If you want to clean it from various dirt, follow simple rules.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a small amount of soap or dish detergent to make a light cleaning solution.
- Put your gold jewelry in the prepared remedy and leave them in it for 20–30 minutes. Use a softer brush or cloth to remove dirt from jewelry.
- Rinse excess soap from jewelry with water.
- Dry your jewelry with a clean towel. Since certain hard-to-reach areas can be wiped dry, allow them to air dry completely before wearing them.
In addition, at home, you can clean the gold ring with ammonia. To do this, soak the jewelry for about a minute in a solution of ammonia and ordinary water, and then rinse thoroughly with clean water. However, do not use this method often, because it can discolor the jewelry.
How to clean a gold ring with a stone?
Jewelry with various stones that are glued to their setting or inserted into specially designated places, frames, should not be immersed in water. Warm water can loosen the adhesive, which can cause your gemstones to fall out, especially when thoroughly brushed. Although some durable stones such as diamonds, emeralds, sapphires are not easily damaged, there are many gemstones that should not be soaked in water for a long time (such as emerald or onyx). For these types of jewelry, use a special cleaning method that avoids complete immersion in water. It is very easy to clean a darkened gold ring at home with a minimum set of tools.
To maintain the original appearance of the accessories, wipe them with a damp, soapy cloth. To do this, make a small amount of soapy water, dip a soft, gentle towel into it, and gently clean your jewelry. Gently blot the wet cloth on the jewelry, taking care to absorb any remaining soap suds. Place the jewelry on a clean and dry towel to dry well. If you don’t know how to clean a gold diamond ring on your own, seek professional help.
How to clean a gold ring at home?
Not sure how to clean a gold engagement ring so that it does not lose its original appearance? You should remember that gold is not difficult to clean, but the exact cleaning method should depend on whether your gold rings have gemstones or not. There are several effective methods that can keep your gold jewelry shining and beautiful.
- Clean the gold ring with baking soda. Baking soda is slightly alkaline in nature. Consequently, it reacts with acids in dirt, dust, and metal residue to form bubbles of carbon dioxide that help loosen debris. To clean, mix baking soda and water. Take an old soft-bristled toothbrush and soak it in the baking soda mixture. Gently clean your jewelry with a toothbrush.
- Clean the gold ring with vinegar. Cleaning your gold and gemstones with vinegar is a common practice. Simply toss the jewelry into a jar of vinegar and let sit for 10–15 minutes, shaking occasionally. If necessary, remove and brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Before you clean your gold pearl ring, you should know that it loses its luster easily. Real pearls, cultured or imitation, you must clean them thoroughly. First, lay the strand on a soft cloth. Dip a clean, small makeup brush into a mixture of warm water and a small amount of shampoo and circle each pearl. To finish, rinse the stone with a clean, well-wrung damp cloth. Let it dry to prevent streaks and to make the ring sparkle in the sun. This no-soak treatment is also good for turquoise, another porous stone.
For hard-to-reach areas that are difficult to clean with a simple soak or rub, you can use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a toothbrush to clean hard-to-reach areas such as gold engravings that have accumulated dirt. In this case, you should remember that in order to clean the gold ring so that it shines, you must use only a toothbrush with soft bristles and be careful with cleaning. In case your jewelry needs a thorough cleaning, it is best to turn to professionals to avoid any damage.
If you want your jewelry to last as long as possible, remember to remove it before showering or while swimming. Chlorine, which is found in tap water, discolours gold and damages fine details of accessories. Don’t do housework with your gold rings as bleach and other chemicals used in household cleaners can damage your jewelry. Also keep in mind that gold is a soft metal and scratches easily. Keep gold rings separate from other jewelry as most other metals can easily scratch gold. It is better to store gold rings in small bags or in a separate jewelry box.
Now you know how to quickly clean a gold ring at home, we wish you good luck in all your endeavors.