Summer is always associated with relaxation, warmth, carefree fun, the beach and barefoot walks along the coast. At this time, you can replenish your wardrobe with brighter and more catchy accessories, such as airy dresses, sundresses, a straw hat, open flip-flop sandals and anklet (this is a leg bracelet). How to choose it and how to wear it correctly, we will tell in this article.
What does it mean to wear a chain on your leg?
Women’s ankle bracelets have been adorned for centuries. In ancient Egypt, they were a symbol of social status: the higher the class of people, the more expensive items they could afford. A gold or silver anklet was worn exclusively by wealthy women. Poor village women themselves made handicrafts from shells, animal skin, wood and bamboo.
In ancient India, products with bells (payals) were first the equivalent of an engagement ring, they were worn on the right leg. After the marriage ceremony, they were worn by married ladies as a wedding ring on the ankle of the left leg. The ringing meant that the rest of the people should stop talking about indecent things in front of them and give them honor, that is, bow.
For young girls dancers from Persia and other Arab states, a solid metal rim connected the ankle to the toe.
In Eastern countries, the meaning of the bracelet on the leg is a talisman that protects from evil, disease, quarrels, wars and poverty.
In Western cultures, this accessory testified to emancipation, freedom of speech and interests in the opposite sex. In some nations, it was a hallmark of lesbians or priestesses of love.
Today, a chain on a leg with or without a pendant is just a stylish decoration, a decorative element, thanks to which its owner can feel even more beautiful, elegant and feminine.
The peak of the popularity of wearing leg chains in Europe came in the 90s. It was then that people began to get tattoos, which were supposed to be combined with bracelets on their arms and legs.
These products are back in trend. They are of three types:
- flexible — one or more chains, sometimes supplemented with precious stones, pearls or curly pendants. Also, the basis of the decoration can be a synthetic cord made of paracord or fishing line;
- hard — solid metal or leather strips. These models may be closed or partially open;
- bracelets made of beads made of wood, glass, plastic, pearls or amber.
A new trend in foot accessories is the slave bracelet, a piece of jewelry that connects the ankle to the finger. Its basis can be a chain or it is made using soutache technique. To emphasize the openwork design, sophistication and beauty of this product, it is better to wear it without shoes on the beach, in the pool, as well as during oriental dance, yoga or theatrical performances.
How to determine the size of the bracelet on the leg?
The circumference of the ankle should be measured with a centimeter tape in the widest place at the height of the bone and add 1.5–2 cm to the obtained indicator. It is important that the ornament loosely surrounds the ankle, does not tighten it, does not rub, but does not fall off either. Otherwise, it will interfere with walking, getting confused between the ankles with each step.
Which leg should I wear the bracelet on today?
It doesn’t matter much anymore. It all depends on what effect you expect to get from wearing this accessory. However, if you love to follow fashion guidelines, remember how to properly wear a bracelet on your leg to look amazing.
- Chains with pendants and rhinestones look great on a tanned ankle with high heels, but without nylon tights, stockings and socks. In combination with light shoes, they are appropriate in evening and cocktail looks, in offices where a strict dress code does not apply. Solid leather or woven bracelets look good even with sneakers. To wear chains on the leg, the feet must be carefully groomed, and the nails must have a neat and beautiful pedicure.
- One of the options with which to wear a bracelet on your leg is boho-style clothing. It goes well with pastel-colored dresses, lace tops, airy light blouses, mid-length skirts with a pattern, an open swimsuit worn with pareos or shorts.
- If you like delicate jewelry, put on ankle chains with decorative pendants — coins, shells, months, stars, multi-colored beads, pearls or balls. It is advisable to match their shade and style to the rest of the jewelry accessories so that they make up a single set or at least harmonize with each other.
- If desired, you can combine several chains or laces with different weaves and wear them simultaneously on one leg. To avoid injury, they must be removed before sports and long hikes in the mountains.
Do not forget that jewelry on your feet gets dirty much faster than on your hands, especially if you walk barefoot on sand and asphalt. After each wearing, they should be thoroughly washed under running water and wiped dry with a napkin. Once a week — soak for 10 minutes in a solution of water with liquid soap, after drying, polish with a napkin to a shine if the surface is glossy metal. In winter, when this product is not in use, it should be stored in a box, in a separate compartment from other accessories. Then it will retain its original appearance for a long time, delight you with its beauty and originality for many years.
Take a look at the Silvers online store catalog and get inspired! Choose a leg bracelet that will allow you to create a unique summer look and order it with delivery in Ukraine!